MEMA’s mobile phone app allows the public to find emergency information, preparedness tools, weather radar, along with several other options like statewide highway information. The app is free to download, and available to iPhone and Android phone users by searching for MEMA in the iPhone or Android app store.
The following is a description of each button within the app:
- MEMA News – This button leads to the user to MEMA’s news releases. During a disaster, this is where the user can get critical information in real-time.
- Contact Us – This button offers the user contact information for all of MEMA’s executive staff members and each office within MEMA.
- Weather Alerts – This button shows current weather alerts for a specific county chosen by the user, updated in real-time. Statewide alerts can also be selected to see alerts from around the state.
- Weather Radar – This button displays a nationwide weather radar, in real-time.
- Facebook – This button shows the user MEMA’s Facebook page, even if the user does not have a Facebook account. This button is also in real-time.
- Twitter – This button shows the user MEMA’s Twitter feed, even if the user does not have a Twitter account. This button is also in real-time.
- YouTube – Takes the user to MEMA’s YouTube page. The videos within this button are also updated in real-time.
- Other News – This button leaves the app and links to the Associated Press’ mobile app or a link in Safari.
- Be Prepared – This button features preparedness information on every disaster that Mississippi faces, like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Radiological, Flooding and Winter Weather. There is also an interactive Disaster Kit checklist, and a link to Coastal Retrofit Mississippi.
- Local Info – This button brings up an information screen for a specific county chosen by the user. It includes weather alerts and County EOC information.
- County EMA – This button gives the user contact information and some websites for all 82 county Emergency Management Agencies and the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.
- MDOT – This button shows the Mississippi Department of Transportation’s active traffic alerts and message signs from around the state.
- Shelters – This button links to American Red Cross’ shelter view app. This will give the user the ability to find open shelters in their area during a time of emergency.
- FEMA Help – This button links to DisasterAssistance.gov. This will assist the user with applying for federal assistance when disaster strikes and Mississippi is declared a disaster area by the President.
If you have questions or comments about the app, email email@example.com or call 866-519-MEMA (6362).
*This app does not replace 9-1-1 for emergencies.