PEARL – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency has received a report of one death and at least five injures from severe storms and a tornado which moved through Kemper County earlier this afternoon.
Five counties have submitted initial damage reports to the State Emergency Operations Center in Pearl. The reports are as follows:
- Clarke: Trees and power lines down.
- Clay: Trees down in the Cedar Bluff Community. Minor roof damage to a few homes.
- Forrest: At least one home damaged. Minor damage to a fire station.
- Kemper: One death and five injuries. Several home and at least one business damaged.
- Noxubee: Trees and power lines down in the Shuqulak and Macon areas.
4-County Electric Power Association is reporting 3,955 members without power, primarily in Noxubee County.
Damage assessment in these and other counties affected by today’s severe weather are ongoing. MEMA will update these damages are reports are received.
MEMA has deployed a mobile communications trailer to Kemper County in support of emergency operations in the affected areas. Three MEMA Area Coordinators are also assisting local emergency managers in Kemper and Noxubee counties.
The public is encouraged to follow MEMA on Twitter and Facebook for updates.