PEARL – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is asking everyone to be prepared for possible severe weather on Saturday. The National Weather Service forecast calls for one to three inches of rain for most of the state that could cause flash flooding and the possibility of damaging wind gusts and a few tornados in the south and southwest part of the state during the afternoon and evening. The two things everyone should remember are to know how to get alerts and have a plan for what you will do.
“With tomorrow being Halloween, we know there will be kids out trick-or-treating and we want everyone to keep the weather in mind,” said MEMA Director Robert Latham. “Many communities are moving Halloween activities to Friday night to avoid the weather so please check with your city or county.”
The following are essential reminders:
- Have a family emergency plan and family communication plan. Every member of your family should know where to go, and how to communicate with each other if there is storm damage in your area.
- Check on your family, friends and neighbors to ensure they are prepared for severe weather.
- Check and restock your emergency supply kit in case your home is without power for an extended period of time.
- Residents in mobile homes or manufactured housing should consider going to a more substantial structure to wait out the storm.
- If riding in a vehicle, never attempt to outrun a tornado. You should abandon the vehicle and get into a sturdy structure.
There are many ways you can be alerted to severe weather warnings:
- NOAA weather radios: An essential tool that should be in every home or business.
- Wireless Emergency Alert Messages: Make sure these notifications are turned “on” in your phone settings.
- Smartphone Apps.
- Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- Local radio and TV stations.
- Community tornado sirens.
For detailed preparedness information, contact your county emergency management agency or go to MEMA’s website at www.msema.org. The best way to get up-to-date information is to “Like” MEMA on Facebook, or “Follow” us on twitter.