PEARL – The Mississippi Management Agency is asking everyone to be prepared for possible severe weather on Friday afternoon through the evening hours.
The National Weather Service says severe thunderstorms are possible in central and north Mississippi on Friday. Large hail and damaging winds will be the main threats but tornadoes will be possible.
A few reminders:
- Know how you will get alerts.
- Have a family emergency plan and family communication plan. Every member of your family should know where to go, and how to communicate with each other if there is storm damage in your area.
- Residents in mobile homes or manufactured housing should consider going to a more substantial structure to wait out the storm.
- Move outdoor furniture indoors as high winds may turn them into projectiles.
- Move vehicles into or under covered parking to reduce the risk of hail damage.
There are many ways you can be alerted to severe weather warnings:
- Please do not rely solely on tornado sirens.
- NOAA weather radios: An essential tool that should be in every home or business.
- Wireless Emergency Alert Messages: Make sure these notifications are turned “on” in your phone settings.
- Smartphone Apps.
- Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- Local radio and TV stations.
For detailed preparedness information, contact your county emergency management agency or go to MEMA’s website at www.msema.org. The best way to get up-to-date information is to “Like” MEMA on Facebook, or “Follow” us on twitter.