PEARL – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency has received damage reports from tornadoes and severe storms that occurred in Mississippi over the weekend. Initial assessments from county emergency managers show 60 residences were destroyed or sustained major damage with 193 total residences affected and one injury. Damage assessments continue.
The National Weather Service confirmed two tornadoes so far, an EF-1 in Rankin County (winds 90 mph) and an EF-2 in Lauderdale County (winds 115 mph). Additional NWS tornado surveys are ongoing.
Initial damage reports by county:
- George: High water rescues for 81 people at an ATV Recreational Park from rapid River rise.
- Lauderdale: destroyed/major damage – 45 homes, 14 apartments, four public buildings. minor damage or affected – 72 homes, and 15 businesses, 8 public buildings. One injury. More than 60 residents displaced.
- Lafayette: Seven homes affected; One home major damage, six homes minor damage. One business minor damage.
- Lowndes: Three homes affected, one business minor damage.
- Rankin: major/destroyed – One home minor damage or affected. 12 homes, 4 businesses.
- Winston: One home major damage.
MEMA has staff deployed to Lauderdale County to assist with damage assessments, volunteer coordination and recovery coordination.
Other state agencies assisting near Lauderdale:
- MS Department of Human Services:
- Coordinated with the American Red Cross for shelter operation over the weekend.
- American Red Cross is coordinating with community partners to provide feeding in the affected areas.
- MS Commission for Volunteer Service
- Requested to deploy a volunteer coordinator Lauderdale County, to assist with any volunteer efforts in the impacted areas.
Residents and businesses are urged to report all storm damage to their county emergency management office.
The State Emergency Operations Center is staffed and monitoring any requests and unmet needs from the county emergency management level.
MEMA will provide updates as information becomes available. The best way to get up-to-date information during this event is to “Like” MEMA on Facebook, or “Follow” us on twitter @msema.