PEARL – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency has received damage reports from six counties from severe weather/tornadoes that struck Wednesday afternoon. At least three injuries are being reported, search and rescue is being conducted and damage assessments are being done.
- Cars damaged along Miss. Highway 5 near the town of Ashland.
- Miss. Highway 5 is closed.
- Damage to homes and the airport near the city of Clarksdale.
- At least one injury.
- Homes damaged and powerlines down near Miss. Highway 4 and Miss. Highway 7 near the city of Holly Springs.
- Highway 7 is closed.
- Search and rescue is being performed.
- Homes damaged near the town of Sardis.
- At least two injuries.
- Miss Highway 315 between Sledge and Sardis is blocked while crews remove storm debris.
- Damage to homes.
- Damage to areas near the Brownsville community.
MEMA has personnel assisting emergency managers in those counties.
The public is asked to stay out of the areas so that first responders can do their work.
MEMA continues to keep Gov. Phil Bryant briefed on the damages.
The State Emergency Operations Center has been partially activated with key agencies to assist with the response.
The National Weather Service Says the severe threat is ongoing and residents are asked to remain weather aware.
MEMA will provide updates as information becomes available. The best way to get up-to-date information is to “Like” MEMA on Facebook, or “Follow” us on twitter.