Important Information About Flood Repairs

PEARL, Miss – As residents affected by recent flooding begin the clean-up process, there are some requirements for those that live or own businesses in the special flood hazard areas of a county. The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency’s Floodplain Bureau offers the following guidance:

It is essential for you to document all damage to a home or business.

Before you begin repairs or reconstruction:
If your home or business is located within a Special Flood Hazard area or is in a flood zone that begins with the letter ‘A, or V’ you must have a permit before you begin certain repair or reconstruction work. If you begin work without a permit, you may be fined. If you are not sure of your flood zone, contact your community’s floodplain administrator or building department.
You must have a permit to remove, alter or replace any of the following items but not limit to:

  • Roof.
  • Walls.
  • Siding.
  • Plaster.
  • Cabinets.
  • Flooring.
  • Electrical systems.
  • Plumbing.
  • Heating and air conditioning units.

To obtain a permit, contact your community’s building department or floodplain administrator.

When you contact your community’s building department or floodplain administrator, the office will schedule an inspection of your home of business. This inspection must be completed before you are issued a permit. The inspection will determine what parts of your building need repair or reconstruction work. The inspection will also determine if your building meets your community’s base flood elevation requirements.

You do not need a permit to proceed with cleanup activities or temporary emergency repairs that prevent further damage. These types of activities include:

  • Removing and disposing of damaged furniture and personal items.
  • Covering holes in roofs or walls and covering windows to prevent rain and other weather from entering your home or business and causing further damage.
  • Removing sagging ceilings (not plaster), shoring up broken foundations and other temporary repairs that make the building safe to enter.