Our mission at the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is to safeguard Mississippi and its citizens by fostering a culture of preparedness, executing timely responses during disasters, and quickly restoring quality of life post-event. Emergency Management is a comprehensive approach for administering and governing mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery efforts.
Recognizing that emergency management begins and ends at the local level, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is a vital asset for the state of Mississippi. Regardless of the threat, MEMA will plan and prepare for emergency scenarios, respond to and support local EMAs during emergency events, and coordinate and resource recovery efforts in the wake of a disaster.
The MEMA Website is designed to support this mission by providing information and planning to the public and the emergency management communities. This site is continuously under development, and we make every attempt to keep information timely and accurate. We will also make every effort to correct errors that are brought to our attention.
MEMA is divided into eight offices:
- Mitigation: helps prevent damage and loss of life and property in future disasters. This office also coordinates MEMA4Kids, a preparedness campaign for children.
- Preparedness: oversees all emergency plans and training programs in the state, which also includes radiological emergency preparedness
- Logistics: manages the flow of commodities and goods to all 82 counties and the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.
- Housing Individual Assistance: comprised of the Individual Assistance, Disaster Housing and the Disability Integration Advisor. This office provides funds for disaster-related unmet needs to individuals and families with uninsured/underinsured essential private property damages or losses.
- Public Assistance: oversees all recovery operations such as public assistance reimbursement.
- Administrative Services: oversees all financial and personnel issues for the agency.
- Information Technology: comprised of the Information Technology Bureau, Wireless Communications Bureau and Geographic Information Systems Bureau
- Response: provides the core, coordinated state operational response to support communities following a disaster
Emergency Public Information:
During an emergency, any crucial public information will be released through MEMA with the help of other state agencies that may be involved in the response actions. During any type of evacuation in the state, the Mississippi Public Broadcasting Network will broadcast that evacuation and traffic information on all MPB radio stations.