Our mission, at the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, is to safeguard Mississippi and her citizens by fostering a culture of preparedness, executing timely response during disaster, and quickly restoring quality of life post event. Emergency Management is a comprehensive approach for administering and governing efforts in mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
Recognizing that emergency management begins and ends at the local level, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is a vital asset for the state of Mississippi. Regardless of the threat, MEMA will plan and prepare for emergency scenarios, respond to and support local EMAs during emergency events, and coordinate and resource recovery efforts in the wake of a disaster.
The MEMA Web site is designed to support this mission by providing information and planning to the public and the emergency management communities. This site is continuously under development, and we make every attempt to keep information timely and accurate. We will also make every effort to correct errors that are brought to our attention.
MEMA is divided into eight offices:
- Mitigation: helps prevent damage and loss of life and property in future disasters. This office also coordinates MEMA4Kids, a preparedness campaign for children.
- Preparedness: oversees all emergency plans and training programs in the state, which also includes radiological emergency preparedness
- Logistics: manages the flow of commodities and goods to all 82 counties and the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.
- Individual Assistance: comprised of the Individual Assistance Bureau, the Disaster Reservists Bureau, the Disability Integration Advisor and will also include all of our efforts to work with the different volunteer organizations that we deal with before, during and after a disaster.
- Public Assistance: oversees all recovery operations such as public assistance reimbursement.
- Administrative Services: oversees all financial and personnel issues for the agency.
- Information Technology: comprised of the Information Technology Bureau, Wireless Communications Bureau and Geographic Information Systems Bureau
- Response: provides the core, coordinated state operational response to support communities following a disaster
Emergency Public Information:
During an emergency, any crucial public information will be released through MEMA with the help of other state agencies that may be involved in the response actions. During any type of evacuation in the state, the Mississippi Public Broadcasting Network will broadcast that evacuation and traffic information on all MPB radio stations.