Our mission, at the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, is to safeguard Mississippi and her citizens by fostering a culture of preparedness, executing timely response during disaster, and quickly restoring quality of life post event. Emergency Management is a comprehensive approach for administering and governing efforts in mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
Recognizing that emergency management begins and ends at the local level, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is a vital asset for the state of Mississippi. Regardless of the threat, MEMA will plan and prepare for emergency scenarios, respond to and support local EMAs during emergency events, and coordinate and resource recovery efforts in the wake of a disaster.
The MEMA Web site is designed to support this mission by providing information and planning to the public and the emergency management communities. This site is continuously under development, and we make every attempt to keep information timely and accurate. We will also make every effort to correct errors that are brought to our attention.
MEMA is divided into seven offices:
- Mitigation: which helps prevent damage and loss of life and property in future disasters. This office also coordinates MEMA4Kids, a preparedness campaign for children.
- Preparedness: which is in charge of all emergency plans and training programs in the state.
- Response and Radiological Emergency Preparedness: which is in charge of coordinating the state’s response to any type of natural and man-made disaster and preparedness efforts related to a nuclear or radiological emergency in Mississippi.
- Logistics: which manages the flow of commodities and goods to all 82 counties and the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.
- Individual Assistance: which is comprised of the Individual Assistance Bureau, the Disaster Reservists Bureau, the Disability Integration Advisor and will also include all of our efforts to work with the different volunteer organizations that we deal with before, during and after a disaster.
- Public Assistance: which is in charge of all recovery operations such as public assistance reimbursement.
- Support Services: which is in charge of all financial and personnel issues for the agency.
Emergency Public Information:
During an emergency, any crucial public information will be released through MEMA with the help of other state agencies that may be involved in the response actions. During any type of evacuation in the state, the Mississippi Public Broadcasting Network will broadcast that evacuation and traffic information on all MPB radio stations.